Friday, December 1, 2023

Final Blog Post: Technology

 My Relationship With Technology

In a world that is ever-changing and expanding, reliance on technology is in an upward trend. The argument of whether technology is making a positive or harmful impact on humanity, is an argument that will never be fully settled. 

Many would agree that technology consumes a great portion of our days. This being said, going to look at the Screen Time function on your phone can be a scary task. For me, technology has become a constant in my life. There will always be that easier choice of picking up your cellphone to mindlessly scroll through Instagram and TikTok. Mindless scrolling has become a staple in everyones day. It can be so difficult to choose anything other than sitting there on your phone.

From a young age I was always enthralled with reading, grabbing every book in Barnes & Noble and using all of my free time after school to indulge in a new chapter. Thankfully, to this day and while in college, I still find myself sitting down with a good book after a long day of classes and work. It is much more difficult to find those copious amounts of free time as a 19 year old college student, so I try my best to use it in ways that will benefit me.

But one day colored pencils and crayons turn to Chromebooks and tablets. Technology slowly creeped into everyone's lives, starting back in elementary school most likely. In my young experience, the Chromebook carts were rolled into the classroom and we would complete assignments on the tiny laptops instead of on paper or collaborating in groups. Are there benefits? Of course. Not all technology is bad, it really comes down to the amount of exposure an individual has.

Technology during early childhood education has been beneficial because we do need that foundation as we make our way into adulthood. Through high school and now into my college career, I can't remember a single day that has went by that I haven't opened my laptop. It is undeniable that it is convenient and we can accomplish so much in record time. However, technology has created a mental health crisis and has singlehandedly sparked cyberbullying.

As a young woman, it has become normal to sit there in the mirror and criticize yourself. Technology is great when it comes to such things like easy access to buying products or doing assignments, but it is also linked to increasing anxiety and depressive symptoms.  

Social media influencers, successful business men and women, actors/actresses, and so many more big brand and name people are plastered all over social media. In my experience, I have found myself scrolling through Instagram and looking at these people that have copious amounts of money, wondrous jobs, and just seem to have their life together. That's when the thoughts begin. I will tear myself apart, You aren't doing enough, You won't be successful, Why don't you have that money. I begin comparing myself to these random people and it is easy to get lost in your thoughts. It is easy to lose sight of what is really true. It is just social media. We begin to lose the ability of realizing what is real and what is simply just a product of social media. Technology has made us susceptible to seeing photoshopped and staged images, instilling the idea that that person who we see on the screen, has a much better life than we do.     

Chamath Palihapitiya, former Vice President of User Growth at Facebook says, "The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works." Even if we know that scrolling through Instagram and comparing ourselves to others is harming us mentally and emotionally, we still continue to do it.  

Not only in my personal life, but in my family and friends as well, I have seen the affects of technology on their lives. Some people know how to balance their time and use technology efficiently and productively, but for some that is not the case. My brother and I are only 4 years apart but I have seen a major difference in the way he was brought up with technology. From Ipads to Xboxes, he always had technology right at his fingertips. Don't get me wrong, I did too, but I think that my age group was taught to handle it a little better. That's not the case anymore however, with the rise of social media. But for as long as I can remember he has always been attached to some type of video game. This Thanksgiving I barely saw my brother. He was attached to his controller playing Fortnite all week.

On a more positive note, technology has completely reshaped the medical world. During middle school, my close friend was diagnosed with progressed bone cancer. She went through unimaginable times but she tackled each obstacle with patience and grace. Without the available technology that we have today, she would not be with us. Technology saved her life and so many others too. For that reason, I am thankful we have incredible minds that can invent lifesaving technology. There are so many different forms of technology and it is important to realize what form is a constant in your life.  

Growing up with technology has been a beneficial experience. I do feel that I am able to use it to my advantage to propel me to where I want to be in life. Technology should act as a support system, but shouldn't be the basis of our entire lives. 

Technology is by far the most incredible and innovative human invention that has helped progress this world in leaps and bounds. When it comes to using it, balance is really the key. Technology has taken a lot of human connection away so it is important to recognize this and keep human interaction alive. Next time you are sitting with a family member or friend, turn your phone off, look them in the eyes, and really truly listen. Don't wait for the buzz or ding from your phone, be fully invested in the conversation that you are having with the human right in front of you. Technology is amazing, but the human brain and real emotional connection is even better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Technology

 My Relationship With Technology In a world that is ever-changing and expanding, reliance on technology is in an upward trend. The argument ...